Monday

Helvetica


Helvetica was the first movie that I watched of its kind. It was the first documentary that I viewed that was about typeface. There aren't many documentaries or movies, especially major movies, based on typeface so when I found out that there was one based on a font, I was suprised. I have to be honest my first impression was, "This is going to be one of the most boring movies ever!" But it ended up being one of the most intriguing movies I ever seen. I never put in alot of thought behind type and fonts because it is one of the most under-appreciated and under rated components in modern day advertising and life period. The movie Helvetica explored this world and showed the viewers the hidden power behind typeface. Helvetica is one of the most popular typefaces and it is used world wide by designers and typographers alike. I learned that most critics believe that helvetica is overabused by alot of people and that might be the reason why there is such a push for a new popular typeface. But whatever the result maybe, typeface should be more appreciated by the public and the education of typeface should be more distributed.

No comments:

Post a Comment